Washington State school reform includes a culminating project that is required for graduation beginning with the Class of 2008.
"Footnote 8: Each student shall complete a culminating project for graduation. The project consists of the student demonstrating both their learning competencies and preparations related to learning goals three and four. Each district shall define the process to implement this graduation requirement, including assessment criteria, in written district policy."
What are the goals of the Senior Culminating Project?
To provide students with an opportunity demonstrate their ability to:
- think analytically, logically, and creatively;
- integrate experience and knowledge to form reasoned judgments and solve problems.
- understand the importance of work and how performance, effort, and decisions directly affect future career and educational opportunities.
Who completes the Senior Culminating Project?
Anyone who wants to graduate with a diploma from Lincoln High School must complete a Senior Culminating Project. This includes students enrolled in the Running Start Program and/or taking classes at the North Olympic Skills Center.
What must a student do to complete the Senior Culminating Project?
The student must
- identify a viable project, writing a satisfactory essential question.
- submit a satisfactory Senior Project Prospectus.
- obtain parent permission to pursue the proposed project.
- prepare and post a proclamation poster.
- complete a successful I-Search paper, including an annotated bibliography.
- apply the knowledge gained in the previous steps and complete a tangible project that demonstrates or illustrates the student’s learning.
- give a passing presentation to the assigned panel, a student audience, and community members.
What happens if students don’t meet the requirements of the Senior Culminating Project, but have passed all the required classes?
The students will not graduate yet.
Can students participate in commencement exercises if they have passed all my required classes but have not completed all the requirements for the SCP?
No. The SCP is a graduation requirement. All graduation requirements must be met before students can participate in the commencement ceremony at Lincoln High School.